6 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe from Electrical Hazards

light bulbs

It can be very simple to overlook those electrical risks since they are mainly insignificant to our eyes and, hence, often lead to dangerous accidents that are very life-threatening to the people around us.

Usual materials or actions might pose a serious risk to anyone’s safety because power is so convenient in our daily lives and can lead to sudden accidents that are primarily unexpected but can be fatal.

It’s crucial to understand how to prevent frequent electrical risks in the house so that you and your family can be safe from possible accidents.

Without basic safety precautions, the two greatest risks associated with using electricity at home are fire and an electric shock which are both highly fatal. Both can be diverted if you take proper measures. These could be with a simple change, or by seeking help from a professional such as Electrician Glen Iris. Carry on reading to learn more.

6 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe from Electrical Hazard

We outlined six tips to keep your home safe from electrical hazards. Read the article to find out more.

● Always Follow Appliance Instructions

Every appliance manual contains instructions on how to use the equipment safely. To prevent potential risks, read and carefully follow the instructions when assembling a new toy for your child or grandchild.

An extension cord is a great example. Extension cord that is frayed or damaged is one of the most frequent electrical risks. These are typically not designed to handle high weights for more than a few feet in length, and they should never be run under carpeting.

Be extremely cautious about putting furniture underneath any extension cords with obvious signs of use and wear, so they are not in direct touch with the ground.

You can use electrical tape as well if you see any potential gap in extension cords or any type of wire with loose ends; electrical tape can be a lifesaver.

● Electrical Equipment Must Be Kept In A Dry Condition

Electrocution can occur when water and electricity come into direct contact. Hence, we recommend keeping electrical equipment far from moisture and water.

Irons, kitchen appliances, vacuums, dishwashers, washers and dryers, coffee pots (particularly those without a drop tray), and microwaves are typical household equipment that is prone to water exposure.

When an electrical appliance, such as you using a hair dryer in the bathroom sink, falls into a tub of water while in use, turn off the power at your home’s electrical panel even before disconnecting it or attempting to take it back.

Once the appliance has dried out, it’s best to have an appliance specialist inspect it to ensure it’s still safe for anyone to use it. Don’t ever use tools under damp circumstances when working outside the home.

You can also learn more about bathroom maintenance to have more ideas to avoid other accidents or mishaps in bathrooms as well.

● Check the Electrical Outlets for Safety

One of the safest ways to ensure an electrical hazard is through the electrical outlets.

Electrical safety outlets decrease electrical hazards significantly, especially if you have young children at home. You can also look into other types of household upgrades like safety outlets, which might help you have a safe and impactful household environment.

These devices reduce the danger of electric shock by prohibiting children from putting tiny things, such as paper clips or pins, or even their fingers, inside the outlets.

Don’t overload outlets with too many adaptors and plugs, and check the outlets for any loose plugs that might spark a fire or even give the users a shock. If you think that any of the electrical outlets may be dangerous, for example, you have seen sparks flying or smelt a fishy smell, then it is essential that you contact an electrician who can do an electrical repair in Red Deer, AB or wherever your location is so that you can have this seen to and fixed as soon as possible to mitigate any disasters.

● Using Correct Bulbs For Lamps

Make sure you acquire the correct wattage when purchasing light bulbs, particularly for primary lights or lighting fixtures.

A bulb with a wattage higher than the maximum wattage for any type of fixture or lamp might overload the wiring, increasing the chance of heating and a fire starting.

A one hundred-watt bulb, for example, would draw more electricity via the wires than a lamp with a maximum sixty-watt rating could safely handle. Hence, we recommend that to prevent overheating, make sure the bulbs are tightly installed.

● Protection from Electrical Surges

When not in use, electrical devices like TVs as well as computers should be turned off to prevent overheating or power surges that could harm the electronics and start a fire. If you are concerned about the risk of an electrical fire in general or for additional peace of mind if you often forget to turn off appliances, you should look at investing in Kydex sheets for your home. These thermoplastics are fire retardant and can help to prevent the spread of fire in key areas, these would beneficial to build into areas of your home where lots of electrical appliances reside, utility cupboards and behind televisions etc, these can help prevent any potential fire from spreading up the walls by attaching them into the walls discretely.

We recommend that you use a surge protector when any of that equipment is turned on. This is especially important if you reside in a region with unpredictable power supplies.

● Call Professionals For Help

It is a recipe for disaster if you are trying to save financially by taking the whole electricity situation into your own hands instead of calling a professional to handle the matter.

It is a very foolish idea to try DIY electrical repairs, including rewiring, because there is always a risk of electric shock. To ensure that everything is safe, hire a local electrician malvern, or anywhere you’re located, who knows a lot about electrical installation in the area.

A concealed threat may also exist due to shoddy electrical work; potential fire starters may already exist in the wiring system, and you trying to fix it might give you a shock instead.

For your sense of security and the welfare of your family, as well as the protection of your house, an electrical inspection as well as a risk assessment are necessary if you detect an issue with your home’s electrical wiring.


Overall, it is necessary to be aware of the electrical risks in your house and the need for electrical safety and take quick and easy precautions to avoid them.

As we outlined six tips to keep your home safe from electrical hazards, we hope the points mentioned above can help you create a safe environment in your home.


Recommended Articles

Leave a Reply