When you sustain injuries from someone else’s negligence, you may need legal assistance. In these circumstances, personal injury law might be fit your situation. Fortunately, there are many experienced personal injury attorneys in California who can help you with this type of case.
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact a personal injury lawyer and find out your personal injury claim worth. The sooner you begin working with an attorney, the better your odds will be. In this post, we will provide some helpful information about personal injury law in California. And what it could mean for you in the future.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law is a legal area that covers a variety of different outcomes from accidents. Personal injury law covers accidents due to the negligence of another person. The most common types of accidents that fall under personal injury law are car accidents, slip, and fall accidents, injuries from defective products, and medical malpractice.
What Are Common Causes of a California Accident?
There are many different causes of accidents in California, but the most common causes include:
- Vehicle accidents: Car accidents are the most common cause of accidents. Negligent drivers cause over 90% of car accidents, which often result in serious injury or death.
- Defective products: Products can cause serious injury or even death if they cause an accident.
- Medical malpractice: Healthcare professionals make mistakes in the course of treating patients.
- Slip and fall accidents: You can fall off a ladder, trip on a sidewalk, or slip on a wet floor at home or at work.
- Negligence: Negligence occurs when someone does something careless or unsafe that causes an injury to someone else.
Should You Hire a Lawyer for Your Personal Injury Case?
If you have been injured, you should always consider hiring a lawyer for your personal injury case. The compensation you receive from a personal injury claim will vary based on a number of factors, including the type of injury and the nature of the accident. Your age, gender, and the job will also affect the amount of compensation you can receive. Also take note the locations of the lawyers you want to hire, make sure they’re available and ready to help you.
Hiring a lawyer can help you get the best possible outcome in your case. Personal injury lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. And they can help you navigate your claim and represent you in court if necessary. You can hire a personal injury lawyer on a contingency basis. This means that you only have to pay the attorney if he or she wins the case.
Types of Negligence That Can Cause Accidents
Negligence can be committed in a wide variety of situations, including at work, in a public place, or in someone’s home. If you have been injured and believe that someone else is at fault, you may have a valid claim for negligence. Common types of negligence that may result in a personal injury accident include the following:
- Driving under the influence: Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can cause accidents that injure innocent people.
- Driving while distracted: Driving while distracted, such as by texting or talking on the phone, is extremely dangerous.
- Driving while impaired: Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol can cause accidents that injure innocent people.
- Defective roadways: If a poor roadway is responsible for maintaining that roadway could be liable for your accident.
- Lack of safety precautions: If a person or company was not careful, that person or company could be liable for your accident.
- Negligent security: If a security company was not careful, that company could be liable for your accident.
- Negligent hiring: If a company failed to properly screen its employees, that company could be liable.
Damages in a Personal Injury Claim
Damages in a personal injury claim can vary widely. There are many factors that the courts will consider when determining the number of damages that you will receive for your injuries. Some of the factors that the courts will consider include:
- The type of injury: Some injuries are more serious and debilitating than others. – Your age: Younger people are more likely to heal from their injuries than older people.
- Your job: Your ability to earn a living will affect the amount of compensation that you receive.
- Your medical bills: These expenses will take into account when determining the amount of compensation for your claim.
- The nature of your accident: The more serious your accident was, the more compensation you can expect to receive.
- The wealth of the party at fault: You can expect a larger settlement if the party at fault is wealthy.
- Your motivation: If you have a personal motivation to receiving a large settlement, you can expect a smaller settlement.
When Can You Make a Claim?
The best time to make a claim for a personal injury is as soon as the accident happens. You will want to hire a lawyer as soon as possible so that they can begin working on your case while the facts are still fresh in your mind. Your lawyer will help you gather key pieces of evidence to support your claim, including emergency room records, police reports, and eyewitness testimonies.
If you wait too long to make a claim for your injuries, you could miss the deadline for filing your lawsuit in court. California has a statute of limitations that requires you to file your lawsuit within a certain period of time after your accident. There are a few important exceptions to the statute of limitations, including if:
- Your injury was too severe for you to file your lawsuit within the deadline.
- You were a minor at the time of your accident.
- You were mentally incapable of filing your lawsuit within the deadline.
- You were in prison at the time of your accident.
In these circumstances, personal injury law might fit for your situation. Fortunately, there are many experienced personal injury attorneys in California who can help you with this type of case. If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner you begin working with an attorney, the better your odds will be of receiving fair compensation for your pain and suffering.